Best Social Bookmarking Plugins for WordPress
Social bookmarking is a method for Internet users to organize, store, manage and search for bookmarks of resources online. Social bookmarking sites can help save you time and energy, and keep you ahead of your competitors. Here’s how you can take advantage of these sites.
From an individual consumption perspective for Internet readers, social bookmarking can make great sense to filter your news and information all into one place. But it also makes great sense for businesses to utilize these tools. There are a few different ways that businesses can do that to increase site traffic and grow brand recognition. The best ways are by curating information, sharing of testimonials, tracking for individual projects, and as an add-on for your public relations campaigns.
In today’s age, spreading our content around successfully by ourselves can be overwhelmingly difficult; that’s where Social Bookmarking comes into play. This popular method allows your readers to help you with this difficult task by placing visually inviting icons and buttons on your blog that enables them to share your content to many popular social networks.
Sexybookmarks support for more than 80 social bookmarking services.If you are looking for a minimalistic bookmarking plugin that still is visually appealing to your readers, then SexyBookmarks might just be the one for you. The plugin developers made sure that they made it as easy as possible to deploy social bookmarking capabilities on your blog. The plugin itselt is very simple to setup, customize and implement, which makes it one of our top choices for the subject.
- Support for more than 80 social bookmarking services.
- Multiple configuration profiles – Features exportable.
- Multiple display options:
- Node item/Psuedo field for Nodes.
- Display Suite/Node Displays field.
- CCK/Field / Views formatters:
- Link module
- Node Reference module
- plus an example Custom Formatter for extended support
- Views module content field.
- Current URL.
- Site URL.
- plus an example Boxes block for extended support
- Drupal API theme() function.
- Support for:
- [D6] Formatter Settings module – Provides profile settings to Formatters.
- [D6] Redirecting Click Bounder module – logs incoming clicks from SexyBookmark shared links.
- Shorten URLs module – Adds extra Shorten URL providers.
2. Digg Digg
DiggDigg is amazing in it’s own way. As the name suggests Digg Digg plugin allows you to post articles on various social media networks. Currently it integrates with Digg, Reddit, Dzone, Yahoo Buzz, Twitter, TweetMeme, Topsy, Facebook Share / Like, StumbleUpon, Delicious, Sphinn, Google Buzz buttons, Designbump,The web blend and BogEngage. Other than that you can place your buttons according to your theme’s display.
First off, it allows you to show your social bookmarking icons in more than one way; placed within your post or as a floating bar that scrolls next to your content as the reader scrolls. The plugin utilizes the more modern share buttons that give visual feedback to show you and your visitors just how many times the specified content has been shared to that network. If you are looking for a plugin that is versatile that will more than likely catch your readers’ eyes, then look no more.
Add to any as the name goes lets your share your content in 8 different platforms just at the click of a button. Quite easy and time saving.AddToAny started out as a simple social bookmarking plugin for WordPress sometime ago and has developed itself into one of the most popular sharing tools in it’s class. AddToAny is very cool because it very small and unintrusive on your content, but unfolds into a world of sharing as soon as the reader moves over the button with their mouse. I recommend this plugin for anybody that is trying to maintain a minimalistic flow of content.
Socialize is an easy way to selectively add actionable social bookmarks to your posts.You can add bookmarks in two places:
- Inside the content (aligned left or right)
- In a box below the content
The plugin was designed to make managing and adding actionable social bookmarks easier and more efficient. Instead of adding new meta keys like other plugins require, there is an additional panel in your posts admin that allows you to select which bookmarks you want to display. This is to encourage people to choose more relevant bookmarks for their posts. By only displaying the more relevant and socially successful posts, you create a form of social proof that might encourage more shares, comments and subscriptions.
Socialize is unique in it’s own way because it has the ability to encourage your readers to share your content as well as comment. You can, however, choose to have the buttons placed inline with your content as well. Like many of the other social bookmarking plugins featured here, it uses the more modernized buttons that provide visual feedback on how many times the content has been shared. I would recommend this plugin to anybody that wants an easy way to give their readers a boost of encouragement.
5. Light Social
This is a super lightweight plugin to insert a set of social share links at the bottom of each post, focused on technical blogs.With this plugin you have simple options to configure. Simply enable or disable to show or not the bookmark social links.
Light Social is just downright cool for a couple of reasons. First of all, it’s minimalistic and fits easily into just about any WordPress theme out there. Second, it seamlessly integrates into RSS feeds without a problem. The back-end makes it possible to pick and choose which social networks you want your content to be easily fed to and the visual aspect of it is very unintrusive. This is a great plugin for those of you who want basic sharing capabilities and have a lot of RSS subscribers.
Sociable is very much like Light Social as far as icon layout is concerned, but it’s the administration interface that really puts this plugin in the race for the top sharing tools. Sociable is now maintained by Joost de Valk. For the latest version and any support questions, please visit the official Sociable page on the WordPress plugin directory.
With over 100 social networks to choose from, you have complete freedom to make sure your visitors get your content shared where you want it to. I recommend Sociable to anybody that wants a minimalistic way for readers to share but at the same have complete control over your social networks.
Bookmarkify supports the following features:
- Includes over 50 social bookmark sites including an “Email This” link.
- Includes a Link for saving to the Browser Favorites.
- Includes an HTML Copy option that makes creating links to your site easy for other publishers.
- Includes a links for subscribing to your direct or FeedBurner RSS Feed
- Includes a link for subscribing to your blog via the FeedBurner Email service (requires a FeedBurner account).
- Customize it to include only the sites you want. Users can access the rest via the “More>>” button.
- Customize it to match your site design using standard CSS.
- The Widget – including your selected site links – is distributed with your RSS feed when using a full content feed.
- The “More Box” – a screen that gives the user access to all of the bookmark and sharing options – can drop down in place or popover over the subdued current page.
- Use it in the sidebar with a small template change.
- Valid XHTML 1.0 or Valid HTML 4.01 markup.
- WordPress NOT REQUIRED! Works as a WordPress plugin and as a stand-alone include script for any PHP page.
- No Fee Charged. No Account Required. No Strings Attached.
SocioFluid is a Social Bookmarking Plugin, displaying small icons, which grows when the mouse is moved over, similar to mac effect. SocioFluid pluginSocioFluid has originality and eye-candy written all over it. You might think this plugin is very basic until you run your mouse over it. It essentially places a row of mid-sized social network icons inside of your content which give the OSC Dock-type feedback when your move your mouse over them. Very cool. The administration page also makes adding and removing social networks a snap of the finger. I would recommend this plugin to anybody, but especially Apple fans.
- Icons for major Social Bookmarking websites: Digg, Reddit, del.icio.us, dzone, stumbleupon, blinklist, blogmarks, furl, newsvine, technorati, magnolia. More to be added in the next versions.
- “mac effect” – when the mouse is over the icons they grow. SocioFluid plugin uses jquery with icondock plugin to render the mac effect
- Administration Panel to select only the desired Social Bookmarking sites.
ShareBar follows along the same idea as Digg Digg in that it allows you to place a floating bar of enhanced social network share buttons alongside your content that scrolls with the page. While not as customizable as Digg Digg, it is a simple and effective way to add spark and eye-candy to your site. All of the social networks are customizable and the icons are modernized to show visual share counters for each. I would recommend this plugin to anybody that wants a floating toolbar to display their bookmarking options.
Sharebar adds a dynamic and fully customizable vertical box to the left of a blog post that contains links/buttons to popular social networking sites. For wide blogs, a vertical bar with popular sharing icons appears on the left of your post. If the page is resized below 1000px (default), the vertical bar disappears and a horizontal sharebar appears under the post title. Big Buttons are used in the vertical Sharebar to the left of the post, while the Small Buttons are used in the horizontal Sharebar that appears under the post title (by default) if the width of the page is less than 1000px (or whatever value you set)
I Love Social Bookmarking is a simple WordPress plugin that allows your readers to submit your content to social media services via a clutter-free drop-down list of attractive icons.
it is a simple WordPress plugin that displays a quirky share link with an icon inside of your content that, once rolled over with the mouse, displays a meny of social networks that enable your readers to share your blog. Being a plugin that anybody could use, I would recommend it to those running a personal blog.